Thursday, July 23, 2009

Poison Ivy

I've really just not been in the mood to blog this week! With low energy and a nice bout of poison ivy and a broken computer, I've just sat out for several days! Of course, some days I wonder why I bother. Does anyone read this anyway?! If you do, please drop me a comment.

We went to the DE Water Gap over the weekend and had a really nice time. Somehow I got poison ivy. I walked between our campsites with shorts and don't have any on my legs. Somehow I got it on one arm. It has now spread to the other arm and to my jawline. Ugh! I hate to see where it shows up tomorrow!

I took my car for it's 30K maintenance this week. They forgot to change the thingy that tells you how much oil life you have left. If you have a Honda Odyssey (non-Touring edition) I have a trick for you! The guy told me how to fix it, which is usually hush-hush. First use the button that changes the odometer to temp and oil life and trip counters. Push it and hold it til it flashes. Once it flashes, push it once and it will re-set the oil life to 100%. This wasn't the first time this has happened. I was happy not to have to drive to the dealer for them to do this little trick!

Here is something cool that is happening this weekend:

www.betsyk.com/events.html

We went to a really great pediatric dentist today. Her name is Dr. Viera and she's in Norwalk. She had three full-size old video games in her office. I played Centipede like in the old days! The doctor spoke with us through the glass to say "hello" and how cute the girls were. Then she took a long time with both of them to explain everything. She actually did the cleaning! She was very loving and nurturing. I really feel fortunate to have found her. Our old ped dentist in Allentown called a friend of hers in CT who referred us to Dr. Viera. We have issues with the girls' teeth and now I feel confident that we'll keep them under control.

I've been looking for a dentist for a year now who takes our insurance and who has been referred by someone-anyone! Rich's doctor has a patient who's late husband was a dentist. She referred two dentists and one is on our plan. So, through this most circuitous route, I've hopefully found my new dentist. I must now call to see if I can get an appointment!

Camp finishes up for Grace tomorrow. Big sigh. I'm looking for fun for the next weeks leading up to school starting. Monday we'll be at the mommy book club in the morning. Maybe hit the Westport Library storytime on Monday afternoon. Tuesday a fun children's concert at noon in Trumbull is where we'll be with Moms EMT. Here's the performer:

www.amyrogell.com

Wednesday I'm meeting a friend in the city. Woohoo! If you have any ideas for fun places to go or things to do, let me know!

Thursday is playgroup. I'll also be waiting for this group to pick up a bunch of donations:
http://www.pickupplease.org/vva/veterans-donation.aspx?gclid=CMLOpcCH7ZsCFUdM5QodO1I5-g

Friday we're heading to Vietnam Culture Camp at Rowan University for the weekend. This will be our 4th culture camp! It's a wonderful way to be with families like ours and to learn about Vietnamese culture. The kids have a blast and learn a lot and make lasting friendships. The very wonderful group that hosts culture camp is Catalyst Foundation.

http://catalystfoundation.org/

While we're talking about very worthwhile charities, did you know you can donate to Paul's Kids and send two children in Vietnam to school for a year for just $100! We've been sending kids to school for the past two years now and just signed up for a third year. It feels great!

http://paulskids.typepad.com/home/welcome.html

Went to Bobby Q's for dinner tonight. We go because it's ultra kid-friendly. However, every time I go I think how the food just isn't that great. Oh well. At least I didn't have to cook!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do!

Kelly Coble said...

I'm reading it! (not often, but sometimes...)