Monday, July 6, 2009

Bubbles and Stew's

Grace went to camp today. She's attending the Little Explorers Camp through the town of Weston. She came home with a bubble recipe I thought I'd share. I've made plenty of homemade play dough, but never homemade bubbles.

World's Best Bubbles (from The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions)

What You Will Need:
2 1/2 qts. water
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 c liquid dish detergent

How to Concoct It:
1. Mix water and corn syrup together until completely blended.
2. Gently stir in the liquid dish detergent.
3. World's Best Bubbles will store for several weeks in an airtight container.

Concoction Tips and Ideas:
Add a little color to your bubbles by stirring in a few drops of food coloring.
Create bubbles in many different sizes by dipping various items such as a plastic strawberry basket or wire whisk into the bubble solution.

Lola and I picked Grace up from camp and headed for Stew Leonard's today. We had no food in the fridge after our vacation. I grabbed a few printed recipes from www.notakeout.com and figured I'd actually go to the store with meals planned. The kids both fell asleep, which gave me time to write out a list before we went in. Since it was so late I let them have ice cream before we shopped. We then took it and headed over to check out the animals. We got to watch one of the workers feeding the baby goat with a bottle!

I saw a sign there that said Friday nights they have character visits from 6:30-7:30. And, the best thing I learned was that if you spend over $100 you get a free ice cream cone. Save your receipt as the freebie doesn't have to be used on the same visit and doesn't expire.

Getting through Stew's can take a long time. Since I don't know the store that well I ended up not getting everything on my list and didn't have the items I needed to complete even one meal! I did wing it when we got home. I grilled the sea bass and also grilled some veggies and made couscous. The sea bass was so disgusting noone would eat it. It was so fishy and rubbery. I don't know if that's what sea bass normally tastes like, was the quality of the fish or my cooking skills. But I know it will be a long time before I attempt cooking fish again. Yuck! Had some Frosted Flakes later while watching Two and a Half Men-makes me LMAO!

Grace had no interest in going to the Wilton Library for their drop-in craft today. We did make a soap craft at home tonight, though. She loves crafts, but isn't liking me deciding our outings.

Lola and I plan to go to the Lunch Bunch tomorrow at the Weston Library. Bring a blanket and lunch and meet us there at noon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love going to Stew's, but learned not to get their seafood. When we were in Riverdale, we shopped at the one in Yonkers and we went bonkers for their scallops, shrimp, clams, and mussels when they were on sale. The lobster was good, too. In Norwalk, I hated the shrimp and the 6 lb lobster was chewy. We got our money back for the lobster. So, the lesson is, don't buy seafood from Stew's in Norwalk. The other important thing for everyone to remember is: don't expect to do all of your grocery shopping there. I go for their meat and produce, coffee, Near East rice kits, some drinks, butter, cream cheese, pasta sauce, olive oil, but they do not carry canned food, if that's what you're looking for. Better off at Stop and Shop if you're restocking your kitchen!

Lyn said...

I learned an expensive lesson! They did have a few big cans of tomatoes, but no small cans. So, next time I'll buy fish somewhere else-or just order it at a restaurant and be done with cooking it!