Monday, March 10, 2008

Old Business

Nothing much happened today so I'll tell you what I did two weekends ago!

I hit a milestone birthday in November and had tried to get a girls weekend in NYC going with three friends. It didn't pan out to do that, but Carole and I worked it out to go recently.

She came up from West Chester, PA on Friday night and we got up early to take the bus into the city on Saturday. We took a crowded bus in, but got to sit together thanks to some lovely German ladies. When we got there we walked directly to the hotel and were able to check into the Grand Hyatt at 10:30 am!

We then left to go to Times Square to find the half price ticket booth at the Marriott Marquis. We found that the tickets for the night shows didn't go on sale til 3:00, but were told to get in line by 2:00.

We then took off walking in search of fabric in the garment district. We need some fabric to make a comforter for the rounded queen bed in the Airstream. Joanna, the woman that cleans for us, is going to make it for us.

We got hungry before we found any fabric stores and found a cute cafe called "Martinique." We were seated upstairs overlooking the street. There was a piano player upstairs, seemingly playing just for us! We had brunch, which was quite nice.

We did find a few fabric stores to check out, but didn't find anything we could use for the comforter. So, we headed back to the ticket line and waited in the cold and wind for about an hour. We got "half price" tickets for "Legally Blonde" for $66. It was a cute show, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price!

We went back to the hotel after getting the tickets and then got ready and went down to SoHo on the subway. We shopped around a bit-lots of trinket-type jewelry stores, right Carole?! We then grabbed a paninni to go and then headed back to the subway to get to the theater. I forgot to mention that I had lost a small diamond in one of my rings. Our jeweler is in the Diamond District near Times Square. So, I was able to drop the ring off and pick it up all fixed later. And, Carole and I both got our rings cleaned and the prongs checked. I don't want to lose another diamond ever again!

After the show we got back to the hotel and watched a bit of tv and then hit the hay by 11:40 pm. Carole was wiggling around early in the morning and I wasn't able to get back to sleep. She got up and took some Tylenol and then went back to sleep. I finally woke her at 10:15 after taking a shower and getting all ready and reading and just sitting on the bed since 7:15! She wasn't feeling well and I hated waking her, but we were wasting valuable time! Oh well. It really forced me just to relax. We went to Grand Central Station for breakfast and then walked to Port Authority and caught the bus back to Allentown.

The weekend was way too short, but nice to get away and just relax without kids. Carole at one point commented how nice it was that we didn't have to take anyone to the bathroom!

Rich is out of town til Wednesday. So, tomorrow I'll get motivated and get moving a bit more. We have Gymboree in the morning and will have to miss Grace's swim class to go to the allergist for a check-up.

1 comment:

Karen Meyers said...

Fabric Shopping! A girl after my own heart!