Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dinner out with the grandparents

We're trying to decide where to take Rich's parents for dinner. Of course, must be kid-friendly, have a nice ambiance, good food, etc. Rich immediately mentions Bobby Q's, which he loves, but where we've already taken them! One time we had a lot of family visiting and made a reservation for 9 at Bobby Q's. Little did we know they have a large, private room upstairs. It was like having our own banquet!

Hmm, was thinking The Beach Cafe. I went there on a girls night out once and liked it a lot. I don't drink, but had a pomegranate cosmo-yum! This place has a fun, beachy atmosphere, that reminds me of the Beach Club in Disney World. They have movie nights for kids Thursday and Friday nights. So, I'm thinking since it's Saturday night we should go somewhere else and head there on a Thurs or Fri!

http://www.beachcafefairfield.com/

We've never been to Cobb's Mill Inn, which is debatable whether it's kid-friendly. I read a blog about a woman who went there with her husband and had a lovely time and then with her in-laws and kids and didn't have such a great time. Our decorator went for Mother's Day and said their ovens weren't working and the food was cold. I do want to try it sometime, but may wait for a date night or one of these many ladies nights out I may try at some point.

Rich ate at The Red Barn recently and said it was pretty good. It was your typical continental cuisine, but a Westport landmark-as the Inn is a Weston landmark. That's a possibility. He said he did see a kid's menu, which is always a good sign.

The Georgetown Saloon is a place I keep thinking we'll take my parents. I think it's a bit too honky tonk for Rich's parents. We went on a Sunday night for family night and had a ball. They had a guy playing kid's music and singing and the kids were all up dancing. Rich and I stopped in one night and immediately walked out and headed across the street to Donna Marie's. That was quite good, but didn't have great accoustics. That's also a place I'd hesitate to go with kids. Although, they do have kids' nights, I recall reading.

Rich's parents have already been to Orem's Diner. This is by far our favorite diner in the area. We'll probably go there for breakfast before they leave in the morning. The Sherwood Diner is ok, but is small and the food isn't as good.

I love the carmelized onion pizza at Bertucci's and love how they give kids dough to play with. But, it's not much on atmosphere.

Toozy Pasta in Wilton is fun. We went and sat outside one night and had pizza. It was quite good. There is another place next door that shares the same patio that also looked cute. It's tricky finding these places as they're behind the CVS.

Portofino in Wilton is also good and surprisingly kid-friendly. Hmm, that's an idea for tonight! Remember that when you go it's cash only!

Another place I'd like to try is Coco Bongos. I don't think that would be good for the grandparents, but maybe for Father's Day. I read that dads get a free entree tomorrow!

I could go on and on as we eat out way too much, but I must get ready for our guests! Oh, that also requires that Rich go to Gold's Deli for "deli" for lunch! If you haven't been there, they've got real NY Jewish deli food-it's across from Trader Joe's in Westport. It's also very expensive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, more places for us to try! Thx!